Sign in

Since OSD600, I have been thinking to transfer my Open Source knowledge to my fellow vietnamese developers at Seneca. There are a couple reasons why I think it could be a good idea. First, Not many people get the chance to take both OSD courses like I did because OSD600 is only offered in the Fall and you need it to enroll in OSD700. I also did not notice that many vietnamese developers in the class. I feel many of them missing out on two of the best (if not the best) courses at Seneca. Personally, I believe OSD600 has…


As I am still waiting for reviews on my PWA’s PR, I decided to take on an issue in an area that I have never touched. After looking at the list of current issues, I assigned myself to an issue helping to add more packages files to Dependabot config. I have seen Anton and Yuan actively working on this matter for a few weeks and been curious to know what it is. From my rough understand, Dependabot is a github bot that helps to identify outdated packages and update them to the latest version. …


“it’s not real until it hits Telescope as a blog post about what happened” — professor Dave

Those were words from my respectful professor, the one and only Dave, who I admire a lot. He reminded me of why we start the practice of writing blogs. It is not only a way to record what happened, but also a way to evaluate on your mistakes and the thought process that you went through to make them. These help you to become a better developer.

Today, my PWA’s PR finally got merged. A few of us were quite excited about it…


This is the second part of my previous blog on my journey to explore PWA. As some of you might have read the first episode, you have known that my first attempt to implement PWA to Telescope nothing more than a failure in my opinion. If you have not read the first part, you can read about it here.

After getting myself together, I was determined to find out a working solution to my PWA issue. I decided to dig deeper into the web and tried out every single solutions I could have found or thought of with the hope…


I started my exploration in PWA having some prior knowledge about PWA with NextJS. It is always good to know where you want to start in everything. From my past exposure, I learned about next-pwa , an out of the box package to make a Next project become a PWA. It is advertised as “Zero Config PWA Plugin for Next.js” and that was what I wanted to reduce development time. I wish everything was as smooth as I always expected (but rarely happened) as the advertisement. Yes, it has minimal config if you don’t need to make it work with…


This week, I was tasked to bring back the dark theme to Telescope. We had the dark theme before and all the functionalities to persist it as a user’s choice but since the UI was incomplete at that time and there were too many pieces required attentions, we decided to put a hold on shipping the dark theme.

It was a simple task, I just need to uncomment my previous code and ensure the ToggleThemeButton is styled the same as other navigation tabs with a tooltip on hover. Also, thanks to changing in the theme object, professor Dave recommended to…


I finally got the approval from Telescope’s reviewers to start writing unit tests on my service. And it was not as straightforward as I would have thought…

My first struggle came from planning for my tests. I did not know how to start as my service includes a chain of middlewares as well as external HTTP requests. I literally spent three hours researching on the internet about testing with HTTP requests and middleware testing. Finally I decided that I should test whether my middlewares work correctly and whether the final json response body gave me what I expected.

During the…


I have used the past week to improve my service and get it closer to be approved by the Chief. I have been able to spend a little more time coding for Telescope this week compared to last few weeks. And I aimed to make it work so I can start writing my unit tests.

One of the thing I learned this week from Dave is to notice little things in the codes to improve it. For example, there is one of his feedbacks that stood out to me is how he noticed that I made two requests, one HEAD…


Understanding microservices is a thing, actually developing one is another thing…

I don’t know how I should describe my feeling when I started working on the Auto Feed Discovery service which is part of Telescope’s microservices initiative. A bit excited, a bit nervous and maybe a bit confused. Despite having gone through two Udemy’s courses (20 hour long/each) on microservices, I am not that confident that I can develop one myself with minimal guidance. You know how in the course, the instructors normally hold your hand through out and you simply copy the code. …


This is a late blog but it is due so here I am…

Thanks to Pedro’s initiative, we have got it started on implementing the UI 2.0 which is supposed to be transforming the whole Telescope’s user experience with the new UI. And I am happy to play some part of it. My first task is to find a good way to adjust the theming object that I was responsible before to the new palette. The new theming object would have less properties as well as a shorter list of color. We would like not to overcomplicate things like how we did it the first time, so better be concise this time.

I…

Tony Vu

Get the Medium app

A button that says 'Download on the App Store', and if clicked it will lead you to the iOS App store
A button that says 'Get it on, Google Play', and if clicked it will lead you to the Google Play store